Many personal injury claims in Philadelphia are the result of wet slip and fall accidents that take place on someone else’s property. If you have fallen on a wet surface due to another party’s negligence, and have suffered a severe injury, you are legally entitled to compensation. The slip and fall accident attorneys at Cooper Schall & Levy are well-positioned to see that you get it.
Contact us now so we can determine whether you have a winnable case. If so, we will immediately begin creating a powerful courtroom strategy. Your initial consultation is free and we won’t charge you any attorneys’ fees until we win your case.
Advantages of Working With Our Experienced Slip and Fall Attorneys
Over the decades, our legal team has earned a reputation for powerful legal representation and successful outcomes. We are familiar with the complexities involved in winning wet slip and fall cases and have the necessary skills to deal with those complexities efficiently and effectively.
You will find us to be compassionate as well as capable. We are well aware that suffering a serious or catastrophic injury, or losing a loved one to a wrongful death, is traumatic and life-changing. Our goal is the same as yours: to recover the maximum damages you deserve for your physical, emotional, and financial losses.
Our slip and fall attorneys are known throughout Philadelphia and the surrounding area for:
- Being tenacious investigators
- Paying close attention to detail
- Having excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Having a network of experts to call upon who can testify on your behalf
- Being creative, clear-headed legal strategists
These abilities give us an edge when it comes to checking the accident site, examining police reports and medical records, obtaining supportive witness accounts of the accident, and photographing or obtaining evidence before it is removed or mitigated.
Common Causes of Wet Slip and Fall Accidents
Very few people have not slipped on a wet surface in their own kitchen or bathroom, on a puddle in the post office or supermarket, or on a snowy sidewalk. Though many slips and falls only result in bruises or embarrassment, according to the National Safety Council (NSC), falls are one of the three most frequent causes of serious injuries in the U.S. Not only that, but slippery surfaces are a common contributory factor.
Wet slips and falls traceable to inattention or inadequate clean-up frequently occur in private residences, commercial establishments, executive offices, and government buildings as a result of:
- Wet floors due to wet weather (e.g. from wet shoes or boots, melted snow)
- Spilled liquids that have been left unmarked by signage and/or improperly wiped up
- Oily substances on floors in factories, warehouses, and parking garages
- Wet tile floors in kitchens and bathrooms due to splashes or leaks
- Puddles in vestibules, lobbies, or basements
At Cooper Schall & Levy, we know how serious injuries from wet slips and falls can be, particularly because the surface does not allow the victim to regain traction.
Factors That Affect the Severity of Injury
Many factors make wet slip and falls more or less dangerous to the victim, such as:
- The nature of the surface (ceramic tile, linoleum, carpet, cement)
- The victim’s clothing and footwear (or lack of footwear)
- The nature of the spill (water, oil, syrup, wet leaves)
- The individual’s position at the time of the accident (standing, bent over, carrying a baby)
- The angle of the fall determines which body part that bears the brunt of the fall
- The age and pre-existing conditions of the victim
For example, falling backward is much more likely to impact the victim’s head than falling forward since most people stretch out their arms and hands to break a forward fall.
The Broad Range of Injuries That May Result From Wet Slip and Fall Accidents
Wet slip and fall injuries range from temporarily incapacitating to permanently disabling or even fatal. Common wet slip and fall injuries include:
- Fractures of the wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip, knee, or ankle
- Vertebral or spinal cord injuries
- Muscle, tendon, and ligament injuries
- Skull injuries, concussions, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Facial injuries
- Nerve damage
We Will Fight to Recover Economic and Non-Economic Damages
Economic damages cover actual financial expenditures resulting from your fall, including:
- Medical, rehabilitative, and pharmaceutical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost income (present and future)
- Long-term care
- Alterations to make your home accessible
- Replacement services (e.g. childcare)
Non-economic damages cover intangibles, like:
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If your loved one was a victim of wrongful death as a result of a wet floor slip and fall accident, our legal team will fight aggressively to recover the damages your surviving family members are entitled to for final medical costs, funeral expenses, and loss of emotional and possibly financial support.
In addition to the above compensatory damages, if the circumstances of your wet slip and fall showed extraordinary disregard for your safety — for example, if others had fallen in the same spot but the property owner still neglected to put up signs, caution tape or warning cones— the court may also award you punitive damages.
Contact Our Experienced New Jersey Wet Floor Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys Now
Sometimes “accidents” could have been easily prevented if the responsible party had provided the appropriate duty of care. If someone else’s negligence has interfered with your ability to earn a living, engage in your normal routine, and enjoy your life, the person or entity responsible for your losses must be held accountable. Contact us today so we can help you get through this challenging period as comfortably as possible and move forward into a better future.