At Cooper Schall & Levy, our accomplished personal injury attorneys protect the rights of heavy machinery construction accident victims throughout the Philadelphia area. If you or a loved one has suffered harm in such an accident, contact us for a rapid, effective response. We are dedicated professionals with extensive experience in heavy machinery construction accidents and will fight tooth and nail for your right to just compensation.
Heavy machinery, though invaluable in many industries, can be hazardous or deadly to construction workers and others who visit construction sites or innocently pass by. As long as those responsible for operating and properly maintaining heavy machinery carefully follow accepted safety protocol, everything usually remains under good control, but when negligent parties fail to take appropriate precautions, construction workers can be crushed, electrocuted, or struck by heavy machinery, resulting in catastrophic or fatal injuries.
Types of Heavy Machinery Involved in Accidents
There are a great many types of heavy machinery used in construction and all of them have the potential to cause serious accidents. Among the most dangerous pieces of equipment are trucks and backhoes; the latter is responsible for nearly half of all fatal construction accidents due to overturns, falls, runovers, and collisions. Other types of potentially harmful machinery include:
- Articulated and back-end loaders
- Cherry pickers
- Dump trucks
- Hydraulic excavators
- Paving machines
- Road graders
Negligence Is Behind the Majority of Heavy Machinery Accidents
Tragically, many heavy machinery accidents could be prevented if their operators were sufficiently trained and experienced and if the machines themselves were properly maintained. Machine malfunctions, mistakes in usage, and general negligence are the primary causes of most serious accidents, such as those involving:
- Getting caught behind a vehicle as it backs up
- Falling while trying to get on or off machinery
- Becoming pinned between the machinery and a wall
- Getting a limb or piece of clothing caught in a machine
- Being run over by a moving piece of machinery or a large vehicle
- Being crushed underneath a machine or structure
- Being injured by a crane
- Being electrocuted when working near powerlines
Injuries Sustained in Heavy Machinery Accidents
Injuries caused by heavy machinery accidents can leave victims with limited mobility, chronic pain, and a loss of independence. Some unfortunate victims do not survive. If you have lost a loved one in a heavy machinery accident caused by another person’s negligence, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit. If you have been severely injured in any of the following ways, we may well be able to sue for losses incurred due to:
- Crush injuries leading to internal organ damage or amputation
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burns due to electrocutions
Whatever type of injury you have sustained, our construction injury attorneys are here to help with excellent legal representation and compassionate moral support. Your initial consultation with us is free and we will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we recover damages.
Our Attorneys Will Work Hard To Bring You Maximum Compensation
Most construction workers are provided with workers’ compensation benefits for job-related injuries. These benefits will cover their medical costs and two-thirds of their lost income, regardless of who was at fault. Notably, however, to receive workers’ comp the employee must waive the right to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against their employer and these benefits do not cover non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering.
Because injuries resulting from heavy machinery accidents tend to be catastrophic, pursuing
a personal injury lawsuit may be a wiser move when it comes to recovering the full amount of compensation you need and deserve to restart your future. This is why it is essential to discuss your case with one of our knowledgeable attorneys in the immediate aftermath of your accident.
Proving Negligence or Recklessness to Prove Liability
To recover damages through a personal injury lawsuit, we must prove the defendant’s liability by demonstrating their failure to use reasonable care in the situation. Ways in which the construction company, a subcontractor, or the manufacturer of a defective piece of machinery may have caused your injury covers a broad spectrum, including:
- Failing to train the operator of the heavy machinery properly
- Allowing an employee to operate machinery on their own without sufficient experience
- Misuse of the machinery by a reckless worker who was never appropriately vetted
- Negligent design of the machinery itself
- Failure of the company marketing the machinery to provide necessary warnings of potential hazards
Once you become our client, our attorney will determine who is liable for the accident so we target the right party with our lawsuit.
Damages We Will Fight To Recover
Serious injuries resulting from heavy machinery construction accidents may result in long-term recovery, permanent disability, or wrongful death so we will fight tirelessly to bring you both economic and non-economic compensatory damages.
Economic damages include out-of-pocket expenses like:
- Medical, surgical, and rehabilitative costs
- Costs for medical equipment
- Costs for transportation to medical appointments
- Lost income (present and future)
- Long-term nursing care
- Alterations to make your home accessible
- Replacement services
Non-economic damages include intangibles, such as:
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Legal Services You Can Count On After Your Heavy Machinery Construction Accident
Our attorneys will:
- Investigate the circumstances of your accident
- Examine accident reports and medical records
- Consult with pertinent experts who may testify on your behalf
- Check into any previous negligence on the part of the defendant(s)
- Negotiate skillfully with opposing lawyers and insurance adjusters
- If necessary, use our litigation talents forcefully at trial
Contact Our Experienced Construction Accident Attorneys Today
Going through the trauma of a heavy machinery accident can make you feel powerless, but having our strong attorneys on your side will restore your confidence. Cooper Schall & Levy has an impressive history of successful outcomes both in and out of the courtroom. Call us now so we can begin fighting aggressively to bring you justice in the form of the resources you need.