If you have suffered serious personal injury or property damage due to a defective product, you are far from alone. Despite consumer protection laws and government agencies enforcing them, many unsafe products make it to the marketplace. If you need proof of this fact, just look at the number of products recalled regularly.
At Cooper Schall & Levy, our product liability attorneys are well aware of the problem and
are dedicated to fighting for the rights of clients who have been harmed by defective products. We serve clients in Philadelphia and the adjacent counties in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Contact us so we can discuss your case and begin taking steps to bring you the compensation you deserve.
Why You Need a Strong Product Liability Attorney at the Helm
The fight for justice in product liability cases can be hard-won, not only because such claims can be complicated and difficult to prove, but because the large corporations behind the defective products typically have an unfair advantage in terms of size and clout. This is why having a product liability lawyer with sharp skills is critical. Our attorneys have the experience and determination to level the playing field as well as a long history of successful outcomes.
Once you become our client, your best interests are our top priority. We will provide you not only with excellent legal services but with the emotional support you need by:
- Handling all communications with opposing attorneys and insurance companies
- Investigating all aspects of your case to pinpoint the origin of the product defect
- Examining your medical records
- Having your property damage professionally assessed
- Bringing in experts in pertinent fields for clarification and supportive testimony
Most of all, we will create a powerful strategy to fight for you and will use our formidable negotiation and litigation skills to bring you maximum damages. In many cases, if multiple victims have been injured by the same defective product, product liability claims can be won through collective action, either as mass torts or class action.
The Wide Variety of Defective Products Sold in Pennsylvania and New Jersey
It is impossible to list all potentially defective products capable of causing harm. Following is a list of products that have commonly been found to cause serious personal injuries:
- Cars (for faulty brakes, defective seatbelts, headlights, etc.)
- Medical devices, e.g. hip and knee implants, transvaginal mesh
- Pharmaceutical products, both prescriptions and over-the-counter
- Children’s toys, car seats, playground equipment, baby formula
- Household appliances and tools
- Construction and factory machinery
- Food products, e.g. contaminated beef, chicken, produce, canned goods
As you can see, products in everyday use can be unexpectedly dangerous. However, if you or a loved one has been seriously hurt because of carelessness in design or production, you are not powerless. Contact our product liability attorneys as soon as possible for the vigorous legal advocacy you need.
3 Possible Reasons for Defective Product Claims
Grounds for a product liability claim include design, manufacturing, and marketing defects.
- Design Defects: occur during the conception and initial creation of a product. Mistakes in this phase of development can inadvertently build a defect into all future products, adversely impacting the public.
- Manufacturing Defects: occur during manufacture or assembly or when items leave a factory missing essential parts, such as safety catches. If any of these mistakes result in serious harm, the manufacturer is considered liable.
- Marketing Defects: occur in the production, packaging, and enclosure of operating instructions for products. Such instructions and warnings describe proper usage; they are necessary to prevent consumers from, for example, putting a fork in the toaster or putting excess weight on a swing. State and federal standards require that products have adequate warnings of potential dangers. If such warnings are omitted and a consumer is seriously injured, the responsible party can be sued for meaningful damages.
How Our Attorneys Prove Product Liability
For a product liability claim to be successful, we must be able to prove a direct connection between your injuries and the defective product by showing that:
- You were injured and suffered real losses
- The product is defective
- The defect caused your injury
- You were using the product as intended
We will also show that there was no warning of the hazard you encountered or that such a warning was insufficient or not easy to read.
Damages We Will Fight to Recover
You should never have to suffer physically, emotionally, or financially as a result of purchasing and attempting to use a product you legally purchased. Whether the product injured you or your belongings, you have a right to recompense.
Our product liability lawyers will fight aggressively for a settlement, or a positive verdict to provide you with damages for:
- Medical and rehabilitation costs
- Lost income, present and future
- Property damage or loss
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Permanent disability
- Extended nursing care
- Permanent scarring or another disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death of a close relative
If the party we’re suing has been egregiously reckless or knew about the dangerous defect but continued to manufacture and distribute the harmful product, we may also be able to recover punitive damages. Also, if our investigation shows that others have suffered similarly catastrophic consequences after using the product in question, we may be able to pursue collective action through mass tort or class action.
Contact Our Experienced Philadelphia Product Liability Attorneys Now
At Cooper Schall & Levy, we know how overwhelming a serious injury can be for you and those close to you. On top of suffering physical pain and mental distress, you may have medical and other bills piling up while you are unable to work. We will help you take back control of your life and demand the compensation that is rightfully yours. Contact us today so we can begin fighting for the resources you need to protect yourself, your family, and your future.
Cooper Schall & Levy personal injury lawyers serve Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as well as neighboring counties such as Montgomery County and Delaware County, and cover neighborhoods such as Norristown and Drexel Hill.